Indonesia with over 260 million of population has become the largest economy in the South East Asia (ASEAN). With a large population and green energy consumption movement, Indonesia holds the greatest promise for solar PV business and recently increase attention from international EPC contractors and developers.
Indonesia is the largest archipelagic country in the world. The geographical condition of Indonesia is extremely suited for developing of renewable energy in general and solar energy in specific. Indonesia has a relatively high level of solar radiation, and being on the equator line, there is limited seasonal variability, which means that solar works well as a power source throughout the year. And Indonesia has huge potential as the world’s largest solar pv producers.
The market potential for installing Rooftop Solar PV reaches over 116 GWp. Indonesian government has set a target to achieve a 23 percent share of renewable energy in the country’s energy mix by 2025. To achieve the target, the government is pushing the development of Solar Energy utilizations:
- PLN will deploy Solar PV on 1,000 islands with total capacity up to 5 GW.
- PLN targets to install over 3 GW of Rooftop Solar PV until 2025
- Implementation Regulation on Rooftop Solar PV Plants Usage Issued
- Rooftop Solar Panels to be installed on all government building, state-owner office and school (Great Jakarta, Central Java and East Java are ready to be the Province of Solar Power)
- Over 2500 villages to be installed Solar PV Stations until 2020
- and many other PV Projects from private companies.
With regard to the huge demand of solar energy projects and the country’s energy mix target, the Indonesia’s Solar Energy Market has become the most promising market in ASEAN.